Sunday, December 3, 2017

Can Caffeine Help Mediate the Effects of a Dopamine Deficiency?

Restless Leg Syndrome. The first time that I heard my dad speak these words, I thought that he had self-diagnosed himself with a fictitious disease. For years my father had been having trouble sleeping because as he put it, his legs, are numb and then jump, muscles are contracting and he cant control it. RLS or the more professional name, Willis-Ekbom Disease is an unfortunate diagnosis where an individual feel as though they must constantly move their legs. This urge persists until the action is completed, and is characterized by occurring at the end of the day when they are attempting to fall asleep. It is classified as a neurological disorder as it can be caused by a problem in the basal ganglia of the brain, or a dopamine deficiency (NIH). As it turns out, the latter is exactly what my father suffers from.

After visiting the doctor in order to help treat the RLS, his test results indicated that because of a D3 and B12 deficiency, he was not creating enough dopamine. This was causing symptoms such as slower decisions making, balance problems, and of course the RLS. In an attempt to counteract the lethargy that he was feeling from this deficiency, he decided to increase his caffeine consumption, something he had never thought to do before as it has been known to increase the effects of RLS (NIH). The results were astounding. My father was able to think more quickly, and have greater control over his muscles.

Caffeine actually has a great effect on dopamine in the brain. A study published in 2015 found that caffeine upregulates dopamine receptors and inhibits the reuptake of dopamine, while another found that it releases a small amount of dopamine in a specific part of the basal ganglia called the nucleus accumbens, (Volkow) (Ferré). For someone who has a deficiency of dopamine, this made all the difference. One of the many responsibilities of dopamine include facilitating signaling between neural cells. With a low amount of dopamine, these signals are not produced properly, causing problems such as my father has exhibited. For now this quick fix seems to be working, and I hope that it continues to do so.


References:


Ferré S. An update on the mechanisms of the psychostimulant effects of caffeine. Journal of Neurochemistry. 2008;105:10671079


Volkow, N. D., Wang, G.-J., Logan, J., Alexoff, D., Fowler, J. S., Thanos, P. K., … Tomasi, D. (2015). Caffeine increases striatal dopamine D2/D3 receptor availability in the human brain. Translational Psychiatry, 5(4), e549–.

1 comment:

  1. As an avid coffee drinker, reading about this is very exciting! With that being said, I do wander if there are any consequences from excessive coffee drinking given that I am not someone who has a dopamine insufficiency? We have all heard of the stories of coffee addicts and individuals who experience withdrawals when they do not get their fix. This may be a bit of a stretch but can these effects be similar to those seen in opioid addicts? My friend Pat Powers is currently doing research on the effects of dopamine and opioid overdose so I wonder if coffee fits in this mechanism given that it stimulates dopamine release? If coffee is found to be comparable to opioids, I wander how society will handle the news given that coffee drinking is more socially acceptable than taking opiates. Furthermore, I wonder how individuals feel about having to be dependent on an external stimuli to maintain normal functioning? Personally, I enjoy my cup of coffee a day to keep me going. But I cannot imagine having to depend on it for health reasons. Anyways, these are just some thoughts! I wish your dad all the best.

    ReplyDelete