Monday, November 13, 2017

Can a Ear Piercing Treat Migraines?

A migraine is a neurological disease which causes a localized intense headache. Additional symptoms to the headache may include nausea, vomiting, and hypersensitivity to light, sound, and/or smells. Migraines are influenced by both genetic and environmental factors. While people are predisposed to have migraines, there are other factors which also influence the onset of a migraine such as, hormonal imbalance, hunger, stress, barometric or elevation change, ect. Migraines are classified into two categories based on the presence of sensory disturbances, coined aura: migraine with aura (MA) or migraine without aura (MO) (Gasparini et. al, 2017). 

People suffering from migraines will try almost anything to get rid of the migraine symptoms when they strike. Popular treatment options include: caffeine, Excedrin Migraine, vitamins, sleeping, acupuncture, ect. A treatment option that is becoming more popular is a daith piercing. “A daith piercing is a piercing through the smallest fold of cartilage in your ear, right at the point where the outer ridge that runs along the top of your ear connects to your inner ear, just above the ear canal” (Daith Piercings 101, 2017). The idea behind the piercing is that an earring in the daith provides constant compression to that pressure point, which is believed to relieve pain associated with migraines. However, there is a lack of scientific research surrounding the idea. It is believed that the relief from migraine pain is a placebo effect. There are also risks of infection, pain, and worsening of migraine symptoms if done incorrectly (Daith Piercing 101, 2017).

As someone who suffers from migraines on average every, or every other, week, I was intrigued to hear of this piercing that is believed to treat migraines, or at least, lessen the pain associated with migraines. I have been stuck away from home a handful of times due to migraines, and the possibility of relief from an ear piercing is a tempting concept. I would like to see more scientific research and studies done on the topic before trying it out myself. However, I will say even if the daith piercing only has a placebo effect, it is still an effect.

Daith Piercings 101. (2017, August 03). Retrieved from
gs-101/

Gasparini, C. F., Smith, R. A., & Griffiths, L. R. (2017). Genetic and biochemical
changes of the serotonergic system in migraine pathobiology. The Journal of

Headache and Pain, 18(1). doi:10.1186/s10194-016-0711-0

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate this post, as I have also suffered from migraines for many years. I can agree with the fact that migraines are so painful that people who get them will do just about anything to resolve it. However, I am skeptical of this treatment. It could be a good solution for future migraines, but I find it difficult to believe that someone with an acute migraine will want to drive somewhere to get their ear pierced, much less get out of bed. Furthermore, cartilage piercings are generally associated with a higher risk of infection, and can be more damaging to the cartilage than a piercing would be to the ear lobe. Cartilage is also avascular, so it takes longer for that tissue to recover. I am ultimately not sure if the risk of damaging and possibly infecting the cartilage at the piercing site is worth preventing migraines when there are other treatment options available.
    What I have ultimately come to discover about migraines is that different things trigger them for different people. These triggers can include potent smells, changes in weather, or stress. For me, I have learned that a combination of stress and getting to bed late can trigger my own migraines. Although this is an innovative treatment, I think that finding an effective treatment requires some experimentation by those who get migraines. For example, I did a lot of experimenting with lifestyle changes (eating, sleeping, managing stress, etc) to figure out my triggers and how I could best prevent them. I ultimately do not think there is one general solution for a problem that has multiple causes, and migraines are a good example of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the concept here is that the piercing is a preventative measure, in theory, as opposed to a treatment of acute occurrence. Theoretically, it is supposed to act like a sort of long-term acupuncture treatment in that area. However, I have also heard that it may act as a pressure-point therapy. While I am skeptical as to how this would work, I am also skeptical about things I have heard work for some people, like acupuncture and pressure point work. I have genetically-driven migraine condition that affects me about 2-3 times a week, so I've seriously considered this for two reasons
    1.) The risk incurred by getting the piercing, even if it doesn't work, is incredibly low. A chance at relief with low risk outcome is a pretty enticing proposition. I have many other ear piercings and I am sure with proper care and hygiene the risk would be tandem out to zero
    2.) I would not complain about having another place to sparkle, regardless.

    ReplyDelete