Monday, October 16, 2017

HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) - Is it really worth it?

What is HIIT. High Intensity Interval Training is a form of cardiovascular exercise that involves a routine of maximum physical output followed by a less intense recovery routine. Studies have shown that HIIT increases your endurance, cardiovascular fitness and can promote healthy blood glucose levels. Is this program worth it?

HIIT has shown to increase the average persons ability to consume oxygen (VO2 max). Generally, a higher VO2 max means better health. HIIT has also shown to decrease the risk of type 2 diabetes. Jelleyman and her associates published a meta-analysis showing that blood glucose was lowered following HIIT than continuous non-HIIT exercise. One of the biggest effects of HIIT is its ability to quickly increase muscle endurance. So, on average a person can increase muscle endurance with a shorter HIIT workout than a long endurance training workout.

Let’s review, when our nervous system sends a signal for a muscle to contract, channels open allowing calcium to leave the SR and bind to its receptor allowing myosin and actin to do its thing. For un-athletic guys, a single HIIT workout results in fragmentation in these channels. Now calcium slowly leaks out and this little constant release in calcium causes stress to the cell. According to this article, the cell responds to this stress by increasing their endurance, allowing them to improve. Endurance athletes do not gain the same benefits. What is the issue with HIIT?

HIIT has shown an increase in muscle endurance but not much improvement in your weight. HIIT is a hard workout and its psychologically tough. People must be careful, injury is a serious issue with HIIT. Many people complain that they dont have the time to work out. Not only is HIIT tough on your body, you need to give your body enough time to recover before you partake in another HIIT workout. Your body will feel very sore and you will be in a lot of pain post exercise. You must LOVE HIIT to participate in this program with the little time you set aside for exercise.


If you are a couch potato, HIIT is a great way of reducing your fat, although you wont see a big difference in weight. If you are okay with the long and aching recovery days, but don’t have a lot of time, then HIIT is the program for you.

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/scicurious/high-intensity-interval-training-has-great-gains-—-and-pain

2 comments:

  1. My sophomore spring I was forced to do crossfit 3 times a week. Now I understand there is a little bit a difference between HIIT and crossfit but they are essentially the same thing to me. I absolutely hated it. I did not lose any weight I had actually gained 15 pounds in muscle (weight that I had to lose that summer in order to be able to run). I wasn't much stronger than I was before I started it and aerobically I was at the lowest I had ever been. While another girl on my soccer team she lost weight, got stronger and she improved both aerobically and anaerobically. Like you had mentioned I had never been more sore in my life and from all the burpees I was required to do I actually weakened my wrist capsule enough to create a huge pocket which formed into a cyst. The cyst got so big that I lost range of motion and strength in my wrist. I ended up having surgery to remove it and after recover and once I was able to start to train again it came right back. So, from my experience with HIIT work outs, the soreness, the pain was not worth the results I saw but for others it was totally worth it.

    I would like to see a study that allows people to see what type of exercise is most beneficial to them personally. Not based on time but based more on physiology and how each person is different. Because what worked for my teammate was the last thing I needed to improve physically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best places to get your eyes examined is an eye doctor in lasik surgery chicago. In addition to the quality of work that these doctors do, they are also very affordable.

    ReplyDelete